Do You Know Jesus?
Do you know Jesus Christ? Many have heard of Jesus and know a little about Him. Many sing songs about His birth at Christmas and know that Easter commemorates His resurrection. Some think of Him as a teacher or perhaps the founder of a major world religion. But, do you know Him personally? Do you know that Jesus died and rose again, not to start a spiritual movement, but because He loves you and wanted to provide a way for you to know Him?
The Bible tells the story of God’s love for people. In the beginning, God created us to reflect His image and to have a relationship with Him (Genesis 1:27). We were created good but sin entered the world and we essentially chose to try life on our own without God, instead of living our lives for God as we were designed.
God loves us so much that He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross to pay the price for our sins and bring us into a relationship with Him. Jesus’ resurrection is proof that we are now accepted and made right by Jesus. We can know the promise of eternal life and experience the joy of knowing God here on earth!
If you would like to have a relationship with God, the Bible tells us that we begin by acknowledging that we have sinned and that there is nothing we can do to earn our way into God’s love (Romans 3:23-26). We believe and confess that Jesus is Lord (Romans 10:9) and allow Him to guide our lives. Where we once wanted to control our own futures, we now allow Jesus into our hearts to be our Lord. Knowing God’s peace, perspective, and purpose for your life begins with a personal relationship with Christ.
Follow these steps to a New Life with Jesus
- God’s purpose is life and peace:God desires for you to have life and peace that is for both now and for all eternity.”I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”
- Recognizing the problem: sin and separation:We were created to know, love, and glorify God. When we choose to go our own way, living life in willful disobedience to God, we are choosing to be separated from God both now and for all eternity.The Bible says we are sinners…“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
But God is love…
“For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.”
God is also just…
“For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- We cannot save ourselves:Because God is Holy, He cannot allow sin to enter into Heaven.Most people attempt to save themselves by their own efforts, good works, or church attendance. The Bible says…“There is a way that seems right unto man, but in the end it leads to death.” Proverbs 14:12
How then can a sinful person enter Heaven where God allows no sin?
- We are saved by grace:The good news is… in spite of our sin, Christ died for us.“By grace you have been saved through faith, and not of yourself; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast.”
Ephesians 2:8-9“But God demonstrates His own love for us in this; while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
- Responding to God’s gift by faith:“If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”